Join us in one of the world’s top biodiversity hotspots on the frontline of biodiversity and sustainability.At the Iracambi Rainforest Research Center, located in Brazil's Atlantic Forest, you'll gain firsthand experience in biodiversity conservation, (agroforestry, regenerative agriculture, medicinal plants, forest monitoring, community outreach, and sustainable living. And whether you're collecting seeds in the forest, working in our forest nursery, planting trees on local farms, cataloging medicinal plants, helping out in the agroecology plots, harvesting coffee, maintaining our forest trails,making videos and adding to our photo library, or riding the school bus to the village to share your language and culture with local schoolkids, you'll be having a ball, contributing your skills to a great cause, and learning all sorts of things you never thought you could. Because Iracambi is all about Saving Forests and Changing Lives and you are warmly welcomed to become a part of it!
- Live and work with people of different backgrounds, different ages and different experiences – all united in wanting to save the world!
- Discover for yourself the challenges and rewards of working to protect the rainforest
- Participate in a nation wide program led by leading research institute Fiocruz to catalog Brazil’s thousands of medicinal plants
- Learn how to produce healthy food without using chemicals
- Hike in the forest, swim in the crystal water of the rivers, and get to know a traditional rural community
Here at Iracambi we’ve been Saving Forests and Changing Lives for over twenty years! During that time, we’ve planted over 130, 000 native forest trees, founded the first program of environmental education in the region, set up the first web-based GIS, created thousands of acres of protected areas, hosted 2000 international students and volunteers from 65 countries, and impacted the lives of thousands of people in the Serra do Brigadeiro mountains. Iracambi alumni (we call them Iracambistas) can be found across the world in academia, business, the arts, government, international organizations, working as doctors, teachers, lawyers, scientists, personal coaches, writers, film makers, GIS techies, farmers and all manner of activities directed at making the world a better place. Whether you spend a week with us or six months, you will go out enriched, and you will enrich your surroundings wherever they may be.